Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
Welcome to followingthesun

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Basic Egyptian Concepts
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 11 time
Got some more information that should prove helpful. I'm going to transcribe this right out of the source, so it's not from me, it's from a certified Egyptologist. :ugeek: And again, if you have any books of your own with information, please PLEASE share it! The more sources we have, the more well-rounded this FAQ project can be. Here goes...

Ba, Ka and Akh - from The Ancient Egyptian Pyramid Texts by James P. Allen, page 7:

"The ancient Egyptians believed that each human being consists of three basic parts: the physical body and two nonmaterial elements known as the ka and the ba. The ka is an individual's life force, the element that makes the difference between a living body and a dead one; each person's ka ultimately came from the creator and returned to the gods at death. The ba is comparable to the Western notion of the soul or personality, the feature that makes each person a unique individual, apart from the physical element of the body.

"At death, the ka separated from the body. In order for an individual to survive as a spirit in the afterlife, the ba had to be reunited with its ka, its life force: in the Pyramid Texts and elsewhere, the deceased are called 'those who have gone to be with their kas.' The resultant spiritual entity was known as an akh: literally, an 'effective' being. No longer subject to the entropy of a physical body or the limitations of physical existence, the akh was capable of living eternally, not merely on earth but also in the larger cosmic plane inhabited by the gods. If the ba could not reunite with its ka, it continued to exist but was no longer 'alive': in contrast to the akhs, such beings were regarded as 'the dead'."

Temple of Tutankhamun -- http://kemeticreform.org/

Post subject: Re: Basic Egyptian Concepts
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:22 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
Very interesting! :)

Post subject: Re: Basic Egyptian Concepts
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:29 pm 

Have thanks: 2 time
I did some digging in KO and found this:
(1) The Ka -the abstract personality of the individual to whom it belongs, Possessing the form and attributes of a human with power of movement omnipresence, and ability to receive nourishment. Equivalent to what we call the shadow image.

(2) The Khat - the mortal concrete personality, the physical body.

(3) The Ba- the heart-soul, which lives in the Ka and sometimes beside it, to supply the Ka with food and air. Capable of metamorphosis.

(4) The Ab- the heart, the physical life in humans, spiritual, rational and ethical. Associated with the Ba(heart-soul). In the Egyptian Judgment Drama, it undergoes examination in the presence of the God Osiers, the great creator and judge of the dead.

(5) The Kaibit-the shadow. Also associated with the Ba, from which it receives its nourishments. Has the power of movement and omnipresence.

(6) The Khu-spiritual soul that lives forever. A heavenly being, closely associated with the Ba.

(7) The Sahu- the spiritual body in which the Khu or spiritual soul dwells. The moral nature of mental and spiritual qualities is united to form new powers that man has the choice to use for good or evil.

(8) The Sekhem- the power or spirit of the vital force in humans. Lives in the heavens with the spirit of Khu.

(9) The Ren- the name of an individual, the essential attribute for preservation of a being. The ancients believed that in the absence of a name, individual ceased to exist. The quality of a name, therefore, was very important.

Thankfully I still keep my old account in there. Quite useful when I need resources.

Board index » Spirituality » FAQ Topics